- 1-1/4 cup fresh asparagus, sliced into 1-inch lengths (about 1/2 pound)
- 12 ounces whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp garlic, minced
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (thawed if frozen)
- 1/2 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
1. Bring a 6 quart pot of water to a boil. Add asparagus and cook until tender-crisp, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon. Add the pasta and cook according to the package directions. In the last 2 minutes of cooking, add the peas. Drain the pasta with the peas and reserve in the bowl with the asparagus.
2. Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the shrimp and cook for about 2 minutes on each side. Add the pasta with the vegetables, green onion, lemon juice, parsley and Parmesan cheese. Toss to coat and season with salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.
Using whole wheat pasta for this recipe helps you meet your DASH goal of making half your grains whole. If you haven’t tried whole wheat pasta yet, now is your chance. When you take your first bite of this dish, notice how just a bit of flavorful Parmesan cheese adds richness without going overboard on calories and fat.