- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cornmeal
- 2 large eggs, plus 1 large egg yolk
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 10-ounce bags frozen cherries
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
1. Place a 10-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir in the cornmeal.
3. In a separate medium bowl whisk together the eggs, egg yolk, milk, olive oil and lemon zest until frothy. Add 3/4 cup of the sugar and whisk to combine. Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients and mix just until the batter is smooth. Swirl the butter in the hot cast-iron pan until melted, then pour the batter into the skillet. Return the pan to the oven and cook until the center is set, about 25 minutes.
4. While the cake bakes, set a 10-inch skillet over high heat and add the cherries, lemon juice, the remaining 3/4 cup sugar and cook until the cherries have released most of their juice, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside until ready to use.
5. Allow the cake to cool 5 minutes before serving. Slice it into wedges and serve with the stewed cherries spooned over the top.