- 1/2 pound cooked smoked turkey sausage
- 3 to 4 tablespoons olive oil or cooking oil
- 1-3/4 pounds unpeeled red-skinned potatoes
- 2 medium onions
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons cumin seed, slightly crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
1. To transport, pack ingredients, transporting sausage in an insulated cooler with ice packs.
2. To cook, pour 3 tablespoons oil into a heavy 12-inch ovenproof skillet; place directly over campfire or on range top. Lift and tilt skillet to cover bottom with oil. Cut potatoes into 1/2-inch cubes; cut onions into thin wedges or chop. Cook potatoes and onions, uncovered, in hot oil over medium-high heat about 12 minutes or until potatoes are nearly tender, stirring occasionally.
3. Diagonally slice sausage 1/4 inch thick; add sausage to potato mixture. Add 1 tablespoon oil if necessary to prevent sticking. Cook, uncovered, about 10 minutes or until potatoes and onions are tender and slightly brown, stirring often.
4. Stir in thyme, cumin seed, salt, and pepper; cook and stir 1 minute more. Makes 6 main-dish servings.