- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped vegetables (try a mixture - bell peppers, onion, corn, tomato, zucchini)
- 1 cup cooked meat (chopped or shredded)
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 4 tablespoons salsa
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheese
- 2 tablespoons low fat sour cream
1. In a medium skillet, heat oil over medium high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet). Add vegetables and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender-crisp.
2. Add cooked meat, beans or tofu and cooked rice to skillet and heat through.
3. Divide rice mixture between two bowls. Top with salsa, cheese, sour cream and serve warm.
4. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
Enhance the flavor by adding low-sodium taco seasoning, such as Mrs. Dash Taco Seasoning Mix. Mix up your whole grains by substituting quinoa, bulgur or barley in place of brown rice. For variety, use lean pork, chicken, fish, beans, tofu or ground tempeh.