- 2 slices whole wheat bread, torn
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 (15-ounce) can low sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (7-ounce) can chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 large egg
- ½ medium avocado, seeded and peeled
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 small plum tomato
1. Place torn bread in food processor bowl or blender container. Cover and process or blend until bread resembles coarse crumbs. Transfer crumbs to a large bowl and set aside.
2. Process or blend cilantro and garlic until finely chopped. Add beans, 1 of the chipotle peppers, 1 to 2 teaspoons of adobo sauce, and cumin. Process or blend using on/off pulses until beans are coarsely chopped and mixture begins to pull away from sides.
3. Add mixture to bread crumbs in bowl. Add egg and mix well.
4. Shape mixture into four ½-inch-thick patties. Grill on lightly greased rack of uncovered grill directly over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until patties are heated through, turning once.
5. Meanwhile, for guacamole, in small bowl mash avocado. Stir in lime juice. Season with salt and pepper. Serve patties with guacamole and tomato.
This dish is a fiber-lover’s dream come true! Make it a balanced dinner with a cold glass of low fat or nonfat milk.