- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped green sweet pepper (1 small)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 recipe Cooked Spaghetti Squash
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (1 ounce)
- Small fresh basil leaves (optional)
1. In a large saucepan cook ground beef, onion, sweet pepper, and garlic until meat is brown. Drain. Add undrained diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, and black pepper. Bring sauce to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
2. Meanwhile, prepare Cooked Spaghetti Squash. Serve sauce over squash. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. If desired, garnish with basil leaves.
3. Cooked Spaghetti Squash: Prick a 2 1/2- to 3-pound whole spaghetti squash in several places with a sharp knife. Place squash in a microwave-safe baking dish. Microwave, uncovered, on 100% (high) power for 10 to 15 minutes or until tender. Let stand for 5 minutes. Halve squash lengthwise and remove seeds. Using 2 forks, shred and separate the squash pulp into strands. Makes: 6 servings