3 cups 4- or 7-grain cereal flakes or coarsely ground hot cereal
1 cup chopped dried dates
1 cup chopped dried apples
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1. In a large container (at least 2 1/2 qt.) with a lid, combine oats, 4-grain cereal, dates, apples, walnuts, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, turmeric, and cloves.
2. For each serving, in a 1- to 2-quart pan, bring 1 cup water to a boil over high heat. (Or, in a microwave oven in a 2- to 3-cup bowl or glass measuring cup, heat 1 cup water on full power [100%] until boiling, about 2 minutes.) Stir in 3/4 cup spiced oatmeal mix. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 5 to 10 minutes, until it’s as thick as you like.
Sarah Carter is a health coach and dash diet advocate. Once Struggling with weight and hypertension, she turned to the dash diet which helped her to keep her hypertension in check and helped her keeping active and healthy lifestyle. She now actively blogs and coaches clients in discovering a new and healthy eating lifestyle.
We're committed to bringing you the best in health and helping you discover the wonderful world of the DASH diet. If you're looking to control your blood pressure, hypertension, or just looking to get into great health, we're here to help.
- Increase intake of fiber, potassium, calcium and magnesium
- Keep fat at low levels (7-8% of total calories), especially saturated fat
- Keep sodium at low to moderate levels (2400-3000mg/day)