- 1 lb boneless top loin steak (New York strip or shell), trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 4 celery ribs, thinly sliced crosswise
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped thyme
- 1⁄2 tsp salt, plus more to taste
- 1⁄2 tsp black pepper, plus more to taste
- 1 lb Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups canned diced tomatoes with some juice
- 3 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 4 cups chopped kale leaves
- 2 cups medium egg noodles, cooked
1. Pat steak dry. Heat oil in a heavy 4- to 5-quart pot over medium-high until it shimmers. Cook steak until browned on all sides and medium-rare, about 3 minutes; transfer to a plate.
2. Cook onions, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme, 1⁄2 tsp salt, and 1⁄2 tsp pepper over medium, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes.
3. Stir in potatoes, tomatoes with juice, broth, and 4 1⁄2 cups water; simmer, partly covered, until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in kale. Cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add steak with meat juices and noodles; season with salt and pepper, if needed.