- 1-1/2 cups water
- ½ cup steel cut oats
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup Greek yogurt, vanilla flavor
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons agave nectar
1. In a medium pot bring water to a boil and add steel cut oats and salt. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cook until oats are tender, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. In a medium mixing bowl combine whole wheat pastry flour, baking powder and soda, egg, milk and yogurt. Mix until a batter is formed. Gently fold in blueberries and cooked oats.
3. Heat griddle or non-stick skillet heated over medium and coat with cooking spray. Spoon one quarter cup of batter onto surface and cook until pancakes begin to bubble and are slightly golden, about 2 – 3 minutes per side, working in batches if needed.
4. Garnish each pancake with about one tablespoon agave nectar.
For an additional twist to this already delicious meal, try adding different berries, apple sauce or mixed nuts to create a different meal every morning. Add cinnamon or nutmeg to boost the flavor. A glass of non-fat milk will add protein and help meet your daily DASH goals.