- 1/2 cup fat-free cream cheese (about 5 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons strawberry or apricot spreadable fruit
- 8 1-inch slices French bread
- 2 egg whites
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 3/4 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/8 teaspoon apple pie spice
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup strawberry or apricot spreadable fruit
1. In small bowl, combine cream cheese and 2 tablespoons spreadable fruit. Using serrated knife, form pocket in each bread slice by making a horizontal cut halfway between top and bottom crust, slicing not quite all the way through. Fill each pocket with about 1 tablespoon of the cream cheese mixture.
2. In small bowl, combine egg whites, egg, milk, vanilla, and apple pie spice. Lightly coat nonstick griddle with cooking spray; heat over medium heat.
3. Dip stuffed bread slices into egg mixture, coating both sides. Place bread slices on hot griddle. Cook about 3 minutes or until golden brown, turning once.
4. Meanwhile, in small saucepan, heat 1/2 cup spreadable fruit until melted, stirring frequently. Serve over French toast. Makes 8 servings.
Test Kitchen Tip
To make ahead, stuff each bread slice, and place in an airtight container. Cover; refrigerate overnight. In the morning, prepare egg mixture and cook.