- 1 small peach, sliced
- 1/3 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed well
- 2/3 + 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 12 raspberries
- 14 blueberries
- 2 teaspoons honey
1. In sauce pan combine quinoa and 2/3 cup milk, vanilla and brown sugar.
2. Cook on medium heat and bring to boil for five minutes. Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until easily fluffs with a fork.
3. Meanwhile, heat a grill pan and spray with oil. Grill the peaches to bring out their sweetness 2 to 3 minutes; set aside. Warm the remaining milk in the microwave.
4. Divide the cooked quinoa between 2 bowls then pour in warmed milk. Top with peaches, raspberries and blueberries and drizzle each with 1 teaspoon of honey.
This protein-rich breakfast also packs in Calcium, Potassium, Vitamin A, and antioxidants. To add in more nutrients, try nuts or sneak in ground flax seeds to increase the omega-3 content. This recipe was slightly changed from its original version which called for almond beverage to including low-fat cow’s milk. This increased the protein content to 11 g while increased the Potassium content, both important characteristics for the DASH diet.