- Nonstick spray for the baking tray
- 2 egg whites (from large eggs)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 to 5 tablespoons sugar (depending on your sweet tooth)
- 4 cups walnut halves
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking tray with parchment or foil and spray generously with nonstick spray. Place the egg whites in a shallow pan (a pie pan works well). Use a fork or small whisk to beat in the salt and sugar. Add the walnuts and stir until thoroughly coated. You will probably need to do this in two or three shifts.
2. Transfer the coated nuts to the prepared tray. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring to redistribute every few minutes to prevent sticking. When the nuts are as dark as you like them remove the tray from the oven. Remove the walnuts from the tray while they are still hot, transferring them to a bowl or a plate to cool completely.