- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp yellow curry powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp crushed hot red pepper flakes (use ½ tsp for milder flavor)
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breasts cut into 1-2 inch pieces
- 6 skewers soaked in water for at least 15 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Combine yogurt, lemon juice, garlic, paprika, yellow curry powder, ginger and red pepper flakes in a blender and process until smooth.
2. Skewer an equal amount of chicken pieces onto each of the soaked skewers. Place chicken skewers in a shallow casserole dish. Add half of the yogurt mixture, reserving the remainder. Cover and chill for about 15 minutes.
3. Spray another shallow baking dish with cooking spray. Remove chicken skewers, discard the yogurt marinade, and place chicken skewers in prepared dish. Brush chicken with reserved yogurt mixture.
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until juices run clear when meat is pierced. Serve immediately. For a slightly more authentic preparation grill the chicken skewers over medium-high heat for 3-5 minutes per side.
Tandoori chicken is spice-filled and offers a lot of flavor. Consider cutting back on the amount of crushed hot red pepper flakes if you’d like to go easy on the heat. Tame the spiciness with a dollop of cool plain lowfat or fat-free yogurt. Serve with steamed brown basmati rice and green peas.