- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup wild rice, rinsed and drained
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup long grain rice
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into thin bite-size strips
- 8 ounces cooked turkey breast, cubed
- 2 medium red-skinned apples, chopped
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
- Butterhead (Boston or Bibb) lettuce leaves (optional)
1. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add celery and onion; cook about 10 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Add uncooked wild rice; cook and stir for 3 minutes. Add broth. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in uncooked long grain rice. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes more or until wild rice and long grain rice are tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, adding carrot for the last 3 minutes of cooking.
2. Stir in turkey breast and apple. Cook, uncovered, for 3 to 4 minutes more or until heated through and liquid is absorbed. Stir in parsley. If desired, line serving plates with lettuce leaves; spoon turkey mixture onto lettuce. Makes 4 (1 1/2-cup) servings.