- 8 ounces wheat ciabatta bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 12 ounces turkey sausage (can be found in the frozen section)
- 2 cups fat free milk
- 1-1/2 cup (4 ounces) reduced-fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 12 ounces egg substitute
- ½ cup chopped green onion
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Arrange bread cubes on a baking sheet. Bake at 400° for 8 minutes or until toasted.
3. Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage to pan; cook 7 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble.
4. Combine milk, cheese, eggs, egg substitute, parmesan cheese, paprika, salt and pepper in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk.
5. Add bread, sausage, scallions and mushrooms, tossing well to coat bread. Spoon mixture into a 13×9-inch baking dish. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
6. Preheat oven to 350°.
7. Uncover casserole. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until set and lightly browned. Cut into 12 pieces; serve immediately.
Whole wheat bread adds fiber and nutrients, both of which are heart healthy, to this otherwise simple breakfast casserole. Serve with fresh apple slices and a glass of hot chocolate for a satisfying cold weather breakfast.