- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup ice water
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 4 fresh tomatillos (about 4 ounces)
- 3/4 cup finely chopped yellow cherry tomatoes
- 2 plum tomatoes, finely chopped (about 2/3 cup)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons snipped fresh cilantro
- 1 fresh serrano chile pepper, seeded and finely chopped*
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Ground black pepper
- Baked tortilla chips
1. In a medium bowl, combine onion, the ice water, and vinegar. Let stand for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, remove and discard the thin brown papery husks from the tomatillos. Rinse tomatillos and finely chop (you should have about 3/4 cup).
2. Drain onion; stir in tomatillos, cherry tomatoes, plum tomatoes, cilantro, chile pepper, and lime juice. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
3. Tote in an insulated cooler with ice packs. Serve with baked tortilla chips. Makes about 3 cups salsa.
Nutrition facts are based on 2 tablespoons salsa.