- 2 tbs.finely chopped carrot
- 2 tbs.finely chopped red pepper
- 2 tbs.frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 cupcooked beans and rice
- 1 egg yolks
- 1 tbs.fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 tbs.olive oil
- 6 small whole grain buns
- 6 smallBibb lettuce leaves
- 6 tomato slices
- 1/4 cupplain yogurt
- 2 tsp.honey mustard
1. Place carrots, red pepper, and corn in a microwave-safe bowl and add 1 Tbs. water. Cover with wax paper and microwave on High for 2 minutes, or until tender. Drain and set aside.
2. Place beans and rice in a bowl and mash with a fork. Stir in cooked veggies and egg yolk. With wet hands, shape well-rounded tablespoons of mixture into balls, then roll in bread crumbs to coat. Flatten into patties.
3. Heat oil in a skillet on medium. Cook patties for 2 to 3 minutes per side. Serve in buns with lettuce, tomato, and a dip made of stirred yogurt and honey mustard.
4. For beans and rice, in a 10-inch skillet cooked 1/2 cup finely chopped onion in 1 tablespoon olive oil until tender (4 minutes). Stir in 1/4 cup uncooked brown rice; stir for 1 minute. Add 1 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth, 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 40 minutes. Stir in 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained. Heat through. Makes 2 cups.