- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- ¾ cup lowfat milk
- 1 cup zucchini, shredded
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Spray twelve 3-inch muffin cups with nonstick spray, or line with paper liners.
3. In large bowl, combine both flours, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
4. In medium bowl combine the egg, sugar, oil, melted butter and milk, and mix until well combined.
5. Add the liquid ingredients to the flour mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in shredded zucchini.
6. Divide batter among muffin cups. Bake 20-30 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean.
7. Cool muffins in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
For a quick breakfast on the go, grab one of these muffins and a container of lowfat or fat-free yogurt. Bake a batch of these muffins to keep in the freezer for breakfast or a snack in a pinch. Individually wrap each muffin in plastic wrap and freeze in a zip-top bag or other air-tight container for up to 1 month.