- 1 box chocolate cake mix (for layer cake)
- 1 (4-serving) box chocolate instant pudding and pie filling mix
- 1 cup water
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) softened butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped round hard peppermint candies
- 1 cup vanilla frosting
- 2 cups chocolate frosting
- Softened vanilla or peppermint ice cream (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Coat 3 (8-inch) layer cake pans with cooking spray.
3. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, pudding mix, water, butter, eggs, and peppermint extract. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds and on medium for 2 minutes. Stir in chips. Pour into pans.
4. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 15 minutes. Turn out onto a rack to finish cooling.
5. Mix vanilla frosting with 1/4 cup chopped candies. Place 1 cake layer on a cake stand. Spread with vanilla frosting. Place a second layer on top and spread with vanilla frosting. Top with third layer. Cover entire cake with chocolate frosting.
6. Press candies into sides of cake with a small spatula or knife. Serve with ice cream, if desired.