- 12 sheets of rice paper
- 12 bib lettuce leaves
- 12 basil leaves
- ¾ cup fresh cilantro
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- ½ medium cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 ¼ pounds (20 ounces) shrimp, cooked, de-veined and peeled
1. Wash and prepare lettuce, basil, cilantro, carrots and cucumber.
2. Lay all vegetables and shrimp out on the counter assembly line style for easy access.
3. Lay a damp paper towel down on a clean cutting board. Run one sheet of rice paper under warm water until just wet and place on paper towel.
4. Layer 1 lettuce leaf, 1 basil leaf, 1 Tablespoon cilantro, carrots and cucumber on the rice paper at the end closest to you. Carefully begin to roll the rice paper over the vegetables like you would a burrito.
5. When the vegetables are just covered, place about 4 shrimp on the rice paper. Continue rolling the rice paper up like a burrito, don’t forget to tuck in the ends before it’s all wrapped up.
6. Repeat process until all 12 rolls are made. Serve immediately.
Fresh spring rolls are a healthy alternative to deep fried vegetable or pork rolls. Shrimp, vegetables and fresh herbs give this protein packed recipe crunch and lots of flavor. Experiment at home with different vegetables and herbs from your garden. Pair the spring rolls with the Lightened-Up Peanut Dipping Sauce (see recipe) for a DASH diet approved entrée.