- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced (about 2 ½ cups)
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 whole wheat 8” tortillas
- ½ pound fresh spinach or arugula, trimmed and steamed
- 1 plum tomato, diced
- ¼ cup (1 ounce) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in sauté pan over high heat. Add a single layer of mushrooms and garlic. Leave the mushrooms alone as they sauté – be patient as they turn red-brown – then turn and sauté until second side turns a similar color.
2. On each tortilla arrange layers of spinach, tomato, mozzarella and cooked mushrooms. Roll up and place seam-side down in a lightly oiled baking dish. Bake uncovered until hot and cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.
3. Cut each tortilla crosswise into quarters. Serve warm or room temperature as desired.
White button mushrooms work great in this recipe, but don’t be afraid to experiment with some sliced portabellas or shitakes. Pita pockets can be substituted for the tortilla, but be sure to choose whole wheat to get the most fiber. These wraps pair well with a side of mixed fruit for a light, fresh meal.