- Pie Filling:
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes (5 or 6 medium), peeled and cut into 1½-inch pieces
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup agave nectar
- 1⁄4 cup almond milk
- 1⁄4 cup melted Natucol or Earth Balance (non-hydrogenated vegetable spread) or butter
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice (from about 1⁄2 orange)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract or 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract and 1⁄2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Pie Crust:
- 2/3 cup whole oats, ground into flour in food processor
- 2/3 cup almonds, ground into fine meal in food processor
- 2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄4 cup almond oil or grapeseed oil
- 1⁄4 cup agave nectar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Pie Topping:
- 1 cup raw pecan halves or toasted sliced almonds
- 2 tablespoons brown rice syrup
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. To make the pie filling: Place the sweet potatoes in a large pot of boiling water and boil until very soft, for 10 to 12 minutes. Meanwhile, place the eggs in a mixer and beat well. When the potatoes are soft, drain them well and add them to the mixing bowl. Add the agave nectar, almond milk, spread or butter, orange juice, extract(s), cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves and mix until light and fluffy with no lumps.
3. To make the pie crust: Place the oats, almonds, and flour in a large mixing bowl and mix to combine. In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, 1⁄4 cup (85 g) agave, and water. Pour them into the oat mixture. Mix until well combined. (The batter will be sticky.)
4. Oil a 10-inch deep-dish pie plate and spread the crust mixture evenly onto plate with oiled fingers.
5. To make the pie topping: Place the pecans in a single layer on a baking sheet and place nuts and pie crust into preheated oven. Bake for 5 minutes and start checking the pecans, being careful not to scorch them. Remove after 5 to 8 minutes, or when lightly toasted. Remove the crust after 10 minutes. In a small bowl, combine the brown rice syrup and 1 tablespoon agave nectar and add the hot pecans, tossing to thoroughly coat.
6. Spoon the potato mixture gently into the crust and arrange the nuts on top of the filling. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the crust is lightly brown at the edges. Cool the pie for at least 20 minutes before serving.