- 1 (18.25-oz) box yellow cake mix
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (14-oz) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (12-oz) can evaporated milk, divided use
- 1 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut, toasted
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9 × 13-inch cake pan with nonstick spray.
2. In a large bowl, add the cake mix, 1 cup evaporated milk, oil, and eggs. Using an electric hand mixer on medium speed, combine and beat for 2 minutes. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean, about 30–35 minutes. Let cool while you combine the milk.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, remaining evaporated milk, and 1⁄4 cup cream. Using a fork, poke holes all over the cake in the pan. Pour the milk mixture evenly onto the cake and let it cool to room temperature, about 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate until the liquid absorbs into the cake, about 2–3 hours or overnight.
4. When you are ready to serve, in a large bowl, add the remaining cream and vanilla. Beat with an electric hand mixer on high speed until the cream holds soft peaks. Spread the cream over the cake and sprinkle with the toasted coconut.