- 2 ripe medium tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash sugar
- 4 medium skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1 pound)
- 4 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 24 mini taco shells or scoop-shaped tortilla chips
- Finely shredded spinach or lettuce
- Shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- Dairy sour cream or guacamole
- 3/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
1. For Pico de Gallo: Combine tomatoes, red onion; cilantro 1/8 teaspoon salt, and the sugar. Mix well. Cover; chill for several hours or overnight.
2. Cut chicken breast halves into 3/4-inch-wide strips. Combine black pepper,paprika, dry mustard, red pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a plastic bag. Add chicken to the bag, shaking to coat. Arrange coated chicken in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degrees F oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until chicken is tender and no longer pink. Using two forks, pull chicken apart into pieces.
3. To crisp taco shells, arrange on a baking sheet and bake 5 to 7 minutes or until warm and crisp. Serve chicken in taco shells. Top tacos with Pico de Gallo, spinach or lettuce, cheddar or Monterey Jack Cheese, and sour cream and/or guacamole. Makes 24.
If desired, omit the Pico de Gallo and substitute bottled chunky salsa.
: Up to 24 hours ahead, prepare the Pico de Gallo; cover and chill.