- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 8 ounces low-fat polish kielbasa sausage, cut into small pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced, or 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup brown uncooked rice
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups water
1. Heat oil over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet); sauté sausage and onion until onion is clear.
2. Add remaining ingredients.
3. Bring to boil over high heat, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
Add mushrooms or green bell peppers for variety. If you like spicy food, add some cayenne pepper or chili powder.
Beans are an excellent source of fiber and protein, but also provide magnesium which is an important DASH diet nutrient. The DASH diet recommends eating nuts, seeds and legumes (beans and peas) 4 to 5 times each week. One half cup equals 2 oz. of lean protein.