- 8 ounces whole wheat bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 6 ounces turkey or chicken breakfast sausage
- 1 medium russet potato (peel optional) cut into ¼-inch slices
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 ½ cup (4 ounces) reduced fat shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 12 ounce egg substitute (such as Egg Beaters)
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Dash of ground black pepper
The night before you serve:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Arrange bread cubes on a baking sheet.
3. Bake at 400° for 8 minutes or until toasted.
4. Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat.
5. Add sausage to pan; cook 7 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble.
6. Combine milk, cheese, eggs, egg substitute, paprika and pepper in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Add bread, sausage, potatoes, scallions and mushrooms, tossing well to coat bread. Spoon mixture into a 13×9-inch baking dish. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
In the morning:
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Uncover casserole.
3. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until set and lightly browned.
4. Cut into 8 pieces; serve immediately.
Serve with a tossed fruit salad of chopped apple, banana and oranges to add some vitamin C, potassium and color to your table this time of year!