- 12 ounces boneless beef sirloin steak, cut 1 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon Jamaican jerk seasoning
- 2 ripe plantains, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium red onion, cut into wedges
- Torn salad greens (optional)
- Lime wedges (optional)
1. Trim fat from meat. Cut into 1-inch pieces. In a small bowl, stir together red wine vinegar, oil, and jerk seasoning. Toss meat cubes with half of the vinegar mixture. On long skewers,* alternately thread meat, plantain chunks, and onion wedges, leaving a 1/4-inch space between pieces. Brush plantains and onion wedges with remaining vinegar mixture.
2. Place skewers on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill for 12 to 15 minutes or until meat is desired doneness, turning occasionally. If desired, serve with salad greens and lime wedges. Makes 4 servings.
If using wooden skewers, soak in enough water to cover for 30 minutes; drain before using.