- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 3/4 cup low fat milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Butter and flour a loaf pan and set aside.
3. In a bowl, with a wire whisk, combine first 4 ingredients. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix through.
Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
4. Let pumpkin bread cool in the pan for about 10-15 minutes, remove it and let it cool completely on a wire rack. Serve as desired.
Spread 1 tablespoon of low-fat cream cheese or 1 teaspoon of butter on a slice of bread to increase flavor. Also, try substituting 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice, commonly found at most grocery stores, in place of the ground cloves, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg.