- 1⁄2 pound lean ground beef
- 3⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped (about 2 medium)
- 1 cup fresh, frozen, or canned mixed vegetables, chopped
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup (2 ounces) shredded cheese (Mexican blend)
1. Brown beef in a large skillet over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet). Drain fat.
2. Add onion and peppers and cook, stirring, 10 minutes until vegetables are soft.
3. Add rice, tomato, mixed vegetables, water, and spices. Mix and bring to a boil.
4. Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Add more water if needed.
5. Sprinkle with cheese and serve.
6. Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.
To make this even more DASH-friendly, substitute the ground beef for ground turkey and choose cheeses that are lower in sodium, like Swiss cheese. To increase your whole grains, substitute in brown rice. Top each serving with reduced-fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt for extra flavor and nutrition.