- 4 cups fat-free milk
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups steel-cut oats
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup dried cherries
- 1/3 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (or pumpkin pie spice)
1. In a slow cooker combine all of the ingredients.
2. Turn heat to low. Put the lid on and cook overnight for 8 to 9 hours.
3. Spoon into bowls and serve.
Steel-cut oats, also known as oat groats or Irish oats, are whole grain oats that have been cut into two or three pieces. Eating whole grains, like oats, can reduce the risk of coronary heart disease and help you meet the DASH goal of making half your grains whole. If this recipe makes more than you need you can store leftovers in the refrigerator and re-heat as needed throughout the week.