- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbles
- 1/2 cup dried tomatoes (not oil-packed), chopped
- 3 tablespoons snipped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 slices (0.5 ounces each) whole-wheat baguette (each about ½ inch thick)
- 3 small Roma tomatoes, thinly sliced
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a small bowl, combine feta cheese, dried tomatoes, basil, and parsley. Set aside.
3. In another small bowl, stir together oil, garlic, and pepper.
4. Brush oil mixture evenly over bread slices.
5. Place bread slices on a large baking sheet and bake about 5 minutes, or until lightly toasted.
6. Remove from oven and top with tomato slices. Spoon feta cheese mixture on top of tomato slices.
7. Serve immediately or broil 3-4 inches from the heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is slightly melted.
Do you consider tomatoes a fruit or a vegetable? Either way, they are a rich source of vitamins A and C and contain an array of antioxidants including lycopene, choline, folic acid, beta-carotene, and lutein. Lycopene is what gives tomatoes their rich red color. Switch from regular feta to reduced-fat to save 1 gram of fat.