- 2 ½ cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ¼ cup olive oil
1. Combine the flour, baking powder, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, and salt in a large bowl.
2. Whisk together eggs, pumpkin puree, olive oil, and buttermilk in a separate bowl.
3. Add the wet ingredients from the second bowl to the first bowl. Mix until just incorporated.
4. Heat a griddle over medium heat. Pour ¼ cup of the pancake batter and cook until you can see small bubbles with the sides set.
5. Flip and cook until golden brown.
Whole wheat pastry flour has more protein, fiber, and nutrients without making these pretty pancakes too dense. Instead of syrup, try serving with yogurt, warm berries, cooked apples, and/or a sprinkle of slivered almonds.