- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups (about 1 bunch) asparagus, cut into 1 inch sections
- 3 green onions, sliced
- ¼ cup fresh basil, thinly sliced
- 6 large eggs
- ¼ cup plus 1 tbsp parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
1. Preheat the broiler to high.
2. On the stove heat an oven-proof 10 to 12 inch sauté pan over medium heat. Add olive oil and onions and cook until soft and slightly browned, or caramelized, about 5 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar and stir to mix with the onions. Add the asparagus and 2 tablespoons of water and cover to steam the asparagus for 4 minutes stirring once part way through.
3. Meanwhile, whisk the eggs in a medium bowl and stir in ¼ cup of the grated parmesan, ¼ teaspoon of the Kosher salt and a few twists of fresh ground pepper.
4. Add green onion, basil and the remaining ¼ teaspoon of Kosher salt to the cooked asparagus and onions. Stir to combine.
5. Add the egg mixture to the asparagus and onions, mix briefly with a spatula, pulling the cooked egg from the bottom toward the top. Allow to cook for 2 minutes over medium heat.
6. Place the pan under the broiler for about 3 minutes until it is bubbled and slightly browned.
7. Remove from the broiler and sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of parmesan cheese and let rest for about 5 minutes. Transfer the frittata out of the pan to a cutting board, slice into 4 wedges and serve.
Fresh spring asparagus is a perfect fit for this quick and savory frittata. But don’t feel limited to asparagus. Create variations of this recipe with other vegetables such as zucchini or summer squash, broccoli, kale, spinach, red bell peppers, or a combination of your favorite vegetables. Your DASH vegetable servings will find their way into your breakfast with ease, and make it easier for you to get your 2 ½ cups a day.