- 2 cups Quick Quaker Oats or 2 ¼ cups Old Fashioned Quaker Oats, uncooked
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 1/3 cups fat-free milk
- 2 eggs or ½ cup egg substitute, lightly beaten
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray 8-inch square glass baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In large bowl, combine oats, granulated sugar and salt.
3. In medium bowl, combine milk, eggs and vanilla; mix well. Add to oat mixture; mix well. Pour into baking dish.
4. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until center jiggles slightly. Remove from oven to cooling rack.
5. Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over top of oatmeal. Using back of spoon, gently spread sugar into a thin layer across entire surface of oatmeal. Return to oven; bake just until sugar melts, about 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Set oven to broil. Broil 3 inches from heat until sugar bubbles and browns slightly, 1 to 2 minutes. (Watch carefully to prevent burning. It may be necessary to rotate baking dish.)
7. Spoon into bowls to serve.
Oats are a great source of dietary fiber and help meet the DASH goal of making half your grains whole. Top this oatmeal with a few raisins, dried cranberries, or toasted walnuts. Make with lactose-free milk if you are concerned with lactose intolerance.