- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 2 cups blackberries, fresh or frozen
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, diced
- ¼ cup hazelnuts, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8 inch baking dish with non-stick spray.
2. In a medium mixing bowl combine the sugar and cornstarch and mix until the corn starch is well incorporated. Add the berries and lemon juice, stir to combine. Pour the berries into the prepared baking dish making sure to scrape out any sugar and starch mixture from the bowl.
3. In another medium mixing bowl combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt. Stir to combine. Add the diced butter and cut the butter into the dry ingredients with a fork or a pastry blender until you have a crumbly and sandy consistency. Stir in the chopped hazelnuts.
4. Spread the crumble topping over the berries and bake in the center of the oven for 30 minutes. Serve warm.
What a simple way to savor summer berries at the peak of the season and through the winter. Try this with other berries or a combination of berries and apples, pears or peaches. Enjoy this berry crumble still warm from the oven. A small scoop of lowfat vanilla frozen yogurt is a nice addition.