- 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1 cup red bell peppers, sliced
- 1 small zucchini, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 small yellow squash, sliced
- 2 slices focaccia bread
- ½ cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
1. In a bowl, mix the mayonnaise, minced garlic, and lemon juice. Set aside in the refrigerator.
2. Preheat the grill for high heat.
3. Brush vegetables with olive oil on each side. Brush grate of grill with oil. Place bell peppers and zucchini closest to middle of grill, and set onion and squash pieces around them. Cook for about 3 minutes, turn, and cook for another 3 minutes. The peppers may take a bit longer. Remove from grill and set aside.
4. Spread some of the mayonnaise mixture on cut sides of bread; sprinkle each with feta cheese. Place on the grill, cheese side up, and cover with lid for 2 to 3 minutes. Watch carefully so the bottoms don’t burn.
5. Remove bread from grill and layer with vegetables. Enjoy as open faced grilled sandwiches.
Enjoy this sandwich with a side of low-fat yogurt topped with frozen berries would to provide even more DASH foods.