- For the Crust:
- 1 package active dry or fresh yeast
- 1-1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup warm water
- 3 cups organic whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- Topping For One Tomato Cheese Pizza:
- 1 ounce tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup Fontina
- 1/4 cup Parmesan
- Topping For One Vegetable Pizza:
- 2 tablespoons pesto
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted, peeled, and cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1/2 small red onion, sliced thin
- 1 cup raw spinach (sautéed in olive oil with 1 teaspoons chopped garlic, then cooled
1. Before you are ready to bake the pizzas, preheat the oven with a pizza stone inside to 500 degrees F. for 30 minutes.
2. In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and honey in 1/4 cup of the warm water.
3. In a mixer fitted with a dough hook, combine the flour and the salt. Add the oil, yeast mixture, and the remaining 3/4 cup of water and mix on low speed.
4. Roll or stretch the dough, a quarter at a time, into a 7- to 8- inch circle and place it on a lightly floured wood peel.
5. For each pizza, place the ingredients on the dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border along the edge.
6. Slide the pizzas onto the hot stone and bake for 10 to 12 minutes.