- ¾ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup oat bran
- ¼ cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 ½ cups Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored and finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Grease twelve 3-inch muffin cups or line with paper liners.
3. In large bowl, combine both flours, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
4. In medium bowl, beat buttermilk, oat bran, brown sugar, oil, and egg until blended.
5. Stir buttermilk mixture into flour mixture just until combined. Fold in apples.
6. Divide batter among muffin cups.
7. Bake 18 to 20 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean.
8. Cool muffins in pan 5 minutes; remove from pan and cool on wire rack.
For a quick breakfast on the go, grab one of these muffins and a container of lowfat or fat-free yogurt. Bake a batch of these muffins to keep in the freezer for breakfast or a snack in a pinch. Individually wrap each muffin in plastic wrap and freeze in a zip-top bag or other air-tight container for up to 1 month.