- 3 large bell peppers, any color, halved
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons mashed avocado
- 1 1/2 cups reduced fat Mexican style cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1-4oz can chopped green chilies, with juice
1. Preheat oven to 350degrees. Wash bell peppers and cut into halves. Remove the core from peppers and remove seeds. Place pepper halves in a 7.5 x 11 inch baking pan; be sure they fit snuggly so that filling won’t spill. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk remaining ingredients together until well combined. Evenly distribute mixture into each of the bell pepper halves, filling completely full without spilling out.
3. Carefully place pan in oven and cook for 30-45 minutes, or until cheese is golden brown, egg is fully cooked and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Top with salsa and serve.
Cooking times can vary depending on oven. If egg is still not cooked after 45 minutes, cover and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes.
Cheesy Mexican food doesn’t always have to be unhealthy! In this recipe fat and calories are removed by replacing sour cream with Greek yogurt, using reduced-fat cheese, and replacing egg with avocado. Bell peppers boost nutritional content while also serving as containers for filling!