- 2 cups cooked brown rice (1 cup uncooked)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 (8-ounce) package wild rice tempeh, cut into 1/2-inch thick strips
- 1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 large Portobello mushroom, stemmed and sliced
- 1 tablespoon low sodium Worcestershire sauce
- 1 packet mushroom gravy mix
- 4 ounces non-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1. To cook brown rice, combine 1 cup uncooked brown rice and 2 cups of water in a medium saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for 20 minutes, or until rice is done cooking.
2. Heat canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add tempeh strips and cook, turning once, until both sides are golden brown.
3. Remove tempeh from skillet and set aside. Add onions and garlic to skillet and cook until golden. Stir in sesame oil, mushrooms and Worcestershire sauce and cook until mushrooms are soft. Return tempeh to skillet.
4. In a measuring cup, combine gravy mix with amount of water called for on packaged directions, then stir into tempeh mixture and heat until thick. Stir in sour cream and heat just until warm.
5. Serve stroganoff over rice, garnish with parsley.
Tempeh is a soybean product that has a nutty taste and crunchy texture. The DASH Diet recommends eating up to 6 ounces of lean protein per day. Tempeh is protein and nutrient-rich, and the tangy sour cream adds additional protein and essential vitamins and minerals to this dish. This recipe uses flavorful and wholesome ingredients to make a winning entrée, any night.