- 2 large baking potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups frozen mixed vegetables
- 3/4 cup reduced sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ground pepper to taste
1. Put diced potatoes in saucepan; add enough water to barely cover. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until soft (about 15 minutes).
2. Drain potatoes and mash. Add milk, and set mixture aside.
3. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
4. Brown meat, onion, and garlic in a large skillet. Stir in flour, and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
5. Add vegetables and broth. Cook 5 minutes until bubbly. Stir well.
6. Spoon vegetable mixture into 8 inch square baking dish. Spread potato mixture over vegetable/meat mixture. Sprinkle cheese on top.
7. Bake 25 minutes, until hot and bubbly.
8. Refrigerate leftovers within 2-3 hours.
This meal contains, meat, starchy and non-starchy vegetables. All that is missing is a nutrient-rich glass of low-fat milk and fruit for dessert!