- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 pounds chicken breasts, boneless, skinless
- 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
- 4 mangoes, diced
- 1 papaya, diced
- 1 chipotle pepper, canned, minced
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 4 cups jalapeno Jack cheese, grated
- 6 cups scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup peanuts, toasted, roughly chopped
- 16 whole wheat flour tortillas
- 3 tablespoons peanut oil
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Heat the vegetable oil over high heat in a large saute pan. Season the chicken with the salt and pepper. Cook the chicken breasts until golden brown on all sides, about 8 –10 minutes. Place the chicken in the oven until cooked through, about 10 – 12 minutes.
2. Allow the chicken to cool for 5 minutes. Shred the chicken into bite-sized pieces.
3. While the chicken is cooking, combine the mango, papaya, chipotle pepper, orange juice, and lime juice. Reserve under refrigeration until needed.
4. To assemble the quesadillas, place 3/4 cup chicken, 1/2 cup jalapeño Jack cheese, 3/4 cup scallions, and 2 tablespoons peanuts on a tortilla. Top with another tortilla. Repeat with the remaining ingredients to make 8 quesadillas.
5. Heat about 1 teaspoon peanut oil in a large saute pan. Place one quesadilla in the pan and lightly brown on both sides, making certain that the cheese is melted in the middle before removing from the heat. Repeat with remaining quesadillas, adding more peanut oil when necessary.
6. Cut each quesadilla into fourths and serve with the mango salsa.