- 4 medium sized sweet potatoes
- ½ cup fat free Greek yogurt (or light sour cream)
- 1 teaspoon low sodium taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 red pepper, diced (about ½ cup)
- ½ red onion, diced (about ½ cup)
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- A pinch of salt
- 1 1/3 cups canned reduced sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup reduced fat Mexican cheese blend
- ¼ cup chopped scallions or cilantro
- ½ cup salsa (optional)
1. Poke holes in the potato with a fork, cook on your microwave’s potato setting until potatoes are soft and cooked through (about 8-10 minutes on high for 4 potatoes). If you don’t have a microwave, bake in the oven for about 45 minutes at 400°F.
2. Combine yogurt and taco seasoning in a small bowl, mix well.
3. Heat oil in a medium pot over medium heat. Add peppers, onions, chili powder, paprika, cumin and salt; cook until the onions have caramelized slightly, about 5 minutes.
4. Add black beans, stir to combine and heat through (about another 5 minutes).
5. Slice the potato lengthwise down the middle or use a fork to pierce the skin.
6. Top with 2 tbsp shredded cheese, 1/3 cup of black bean mixture, 2 tbsp Greek yogurt mixture and 2 tbsp of salsa.
Sweet potatoes are a nutritious alternative to white potatoes. Their red color comes from vitamin A and beta-carotene which are important for eye sight and healthy skin. Add some shredded chicken or beef for protein to keep you feeling full longer.